Pioneering a new adaptation frontier
COMMON Future is a climate adaptation studio offering stakeholder communications and organizational culture to help companies adapt to post-1.5°C climate change, working closely with your adaptation and TCFD team. For middle-market companies that do not yet have a team in place, we bring a full-service adaptation consulting model. We deploy Deep Adaptability, a first-of-its-kind transformative pathway pioneered by our founder and president, Alexander Díaz, to get you ready for the radical disruption underway, because the future will be dramatically different from the past you know and the present you master. Mainstream adaptation programs, while an important first step, fall short of the deeper mindset, protections and innovations you will need. That's where we come in.
- As an agency, we deploy holistic, integrated strategies to engage your people and suppliers internally, showcase your adaptation solutions to customers and the financial community (investors, banks, insurers) — spearheaded by reports and web platforms to match your existing CSR reports and sustainability websites — and create artistic productions to get the word out in more creative ways.
- As a consultancy, we bring you our very own Corporate Climate Adaptation Model (C-CAM) integrating the Human Side with physical, transition and socioeconomic risks, plus innovation opportunities. We also deliver BASTION, which applies the USGBC's new RELi standard for facilities, as well as the equally cutting edge Risk Footprint developed exclusively by adaptation firm CRC.
The 5 Principles of Deep Adaptability
As explained in Our Thinking:
Three ways to engage COMMON Future
- Don't. Go DIY with the Deep Adaptability model. Assign a team and have them dive into the content, guidelines, decks and articles on this website, plus Alex's Medium column. We're a social enterprise, which means we're driven primarily by the mission of scaling adaptation. And besides, there are so many of you in need of Deep Adaptability, we can't possibly cover everyone ourselves. So by all means, go for it.
- Consulting engagement to guide your DIY process. Not only is adaptation a new global imperative (given where and how fast climate change is moving), but it is now the biggest organizational and market challenge facing your company. And you don't have much time. You really have this one chance to get it right and make the transformation deep and enduring. Since Alex invented the model, it makes sense to bring him in as your guide.
- Full service. If deeper treatment is called for, we curate and assign a dedicated team just for you, pulling as needed from our COMMON partner firms plus the deep-bench expertise in ASAP and the Deep Adaptation Forum, with COMMON Future directing the band, as it were, to ensure strategy and messaging alignment and consistency.
Deep Adaptability was inspired and modeled after the Deep Adaptation framework developed by Prof. Jem Bendell of U.K.'s Cumbria University. Bendell, a renowned sustainability and leadership teacher and innovator, oversees a global network (led by the Deep Adaptation Forum) that applies the framework to help people and communities navigate the climate challenges ahead. Since employees and stakeholders of a business are themselves communities, Alex created Deep Adaptability for the corporate world.
Powering our work is our affiliation within COMMON, a leading global organization changing the world with social enterprise. We are hundreds of independent firms in more than two dozen countries, led by amazing and passionate changemakers, and we partner with each other and with like-minded stakeholders in each of our fields and locations.
Meet the Team
Driven by adaptation
We are a collaborative, meaning we integrate in-house talent in our Puerto Rico HQ seamlessly with teammates across the global COMMON network and collaborators in various adaptation organizations. As fellow social enterprises, we are bonded by a relentless drive to bring value to the world. To you as our client, that can make all the difference, when you are served by top international talent this committed to make a difference, in our case bringing you the cutting edge of climate adaptation.
COMMON Future - Founder & Lead Strategist
COMMON - Lead Insurgent
Alex is the founder of COMMON Future and a Lead Insurgent in the global COMMON network. He is many things in one. A strategist, marshaling people insights, market trends, and data/analytics, to find just the right fit for a client. An initiative designer and matchmaker, awesome at bringing people together on a project and common cause. A journalist, with a nose for news and research, a flair for angles and headlines, love of truth, master of the core message. A marketer, applying the journalist’s skill to a client’s narrative and deploying strategies across disciplines to generate results. A writer, the artist/creative in him, craftsman of beauty, story and inspiration.
An advocate, in pursuit of climate solutions since the Rio Summit of 1992. In 2010, he turned to adaptation solutions and is pursuing the cause today in partnership with the American Society of Adaptation Professionals (ASAP), the Deep Adaptation Forum, and the U.S. Green Building Council's Resilience Program. From March 2018 to February 2019, Alex established himself as an adaptation thought leader and innovator with incisive opinions in The Resilience Journal and is doing the same today in The Adaptive Company column in Medium, the only one of its kind focused exclusively on corporate adaptation. Look for The Adaptive Company book in 2021.
See the detail in his LinkedIn Profile.
To curate and help assemble teams across the COMMON network and our adaptation-organization partners, plus provide the back-end infrastructure that makes it all possible, we team up with fellow strategist and culture guru Mark Eckhardt.
COMMON Future marks the spot you see there in Puerto Rico. The rest of us are in 21 countries.
COMMON's beautiful office is in Boulder, Colorado. COMMON Future's is on the beautiful campus of Sagrado Corazón University at the heart of the Santurce cultural district in San Juan, Puerto Rico. As a team, we thrive as much on the unique culture and tradition of social change in Boulder, as on the historical uniqueness of Puerto Rico, the island being at once a U.S. territory immersed in all things American, yet a thoroughly Latin American society and culture, plus one of the world’s climate-change ground zeros following the September 20, 2017 devastation of Hurricane Maria.
At Sagrado, we're part of an exciting social-innovation initiative, Nuestro Barrio, run by the Neeuko Collaborative Innovation Center, that includes making Santurce a climate resilient Oasis District.